Episode 3 Grandpa's Trunk ACT II

祖父的行李箱 第二幕

Watch the video then answer the question: Does he want to stay?

On an Amtrak train the same day. The train is traveling from Florida to New York City. Grandpa is sitting on the train. A woman puts her suitcase on the seat next to him.

Elsa Tobin: Excuse me. Is this seat taken?

对不起,打扰一下。这个座位有人吗?

Malcolm Stewart: No, it's not taken.

没有,没人。

Elsa Tobin: Oh, thank you.

噢,谢谢你。

Malcolm Stewart: Oh, let me help you with this. [ he puts her suitcase in the overhead rack. ]

让我帮你把箱子放好。

Elsa Tobin: Oh, thank you.

谢谢你。

Malcolm Stewart: Do you want to sit by the window?

你要坐靠窗的座位吗?

Elsa Tobin: No, no, no. I like the aisle seat better. Please, you sit by the window. [ They sit down. ]

不,不,不。我喜欢坐在靠过道的地方。请你靠窗坐吧。

Malcolm Stewart: My name is Stewart... Malcolm Stewart. Pleased to meet you.   [ They shake hands. ]

我叫斯图尔特 ... 马尔科姆 • 斯图尔特。很高兴认识你。

Elsa Tobin: I'm Elsa Tobin. How do you do?

我叫埃尔萨 • 托宾,你好。

Malcolm Stewart: Do you live in New York?

你住在纽约吗?

Elsa Tobin: No, no. I'm from Florida.

不是,我是从佛罗里达来的。

Malcolm Stewart: I am, too. But didn't you just get on?

我也是。可是你不是刚上车的吗?

Elsa Tobin: No, no. I just changed my seat. A man next to me was smoking, and smoke really bothers me.

不是的,我刚刚换了个座位。我旁边的那位男人在吸烟,我真是受不了。

Elsa Tobin:  Where are you from in Florida?

你是从佛罗里达州什么地方来的?

Malcolm Stewart: Titusville. It's near Orlando.

泰特斯维尔 ,离奥兰多不远。

Elsa Tobin: Small world. I'm from Titusville, too.

世界真小。我也是从泰特斯维尔来的。

Malcolm Stewart: Really? What part?

当真?是泰特斯维尔的哪一部分?

Elsa Tobin: My husband and I live near Spaceport.

我和我丈夫住在航天港附近。

Malcolm Stewart: I know that area. My house is only a few miles from Spaceport. Do you still live there?

我知道那个地方。我的家离航天港只有几英里路。你还住在那儿?

Elsa Tobin: Oh yes, yes. My husband's there now.

是的,是的。我丈夫现在还在那儿。

Elsa Tobin: He couldn't take time off to come to New York with me. Do you still live there?

他走不开,不能和我一起来纽约。你还住在那儿吗?

Malcolm Stewart: No. I sold the house and the furniture, put a few personal things in an old trunk, and shipped it to my children in New York. That's my destination.

不住不。我把房子和家俱都卖了,把一些随身的东西装进一只旧衣箱里,把它托运到纽约我孩子们那儿去了,我现在就到那儿去。

Elsa Tobin: Are you married?

你有家室吗?

Malcolm Stewart: My wife died four years ago. She was a wonderful woman. A real friend.

我妻子四年前去世了。她是个了不起的女人。是个真正的伴侣。

Elsa Tobin: I'm sorry. Really, I'm sorry.

我听了很难过,真的很难过。

Malcolm Stewart: Lots of wonderful memories. We were married almost fifty years. Well, forty-seven, to be exact.

我有很多美好的往事值得记忆。我们结婚将近 50 年。确切的说是 47 年。

Elsa Tobin: John and I celebrate our fortieth anniversary next month.

约翰与我下个月要庆祝我们结婚四十周年纪念日。

Malcolm Stewart: Oh, congratulations! That's nice. What does John do?

啊,祝贺你!那真好。约翰是做什么工作的?

Elsa Tobin: He's an aerospace engineer and works for Orlando Aircraft Corporation. He started with them almost forty years ago. What do you do?

他是一个航空工程师,就职于奥兰多飞机制造公司工作。他差不多在那儿工作 40 年了。你是做什么工作的?

Elsa Tobin: I just retired. Had my own company. A construction company. Roads, bridges, big stuff. But I just sold it and retired.

我刚退休不久。我自己开公司,建筑公司。修饰、搭桥,都是大工程。可我不久前把公司卖出去了,就退休了。

[ A conductor walks over to them. he asks to see Mrs. Tobin's ticket. ]

Conductor: Excuse me, ma'am. Ticket, please.

对不起,夫人。请出示一下车票。

Elsa Tobin: [ to Grandpa] Would you kindly hold these keys, please? I have a ticket, I know. I was in the smoking section.

劳驾请你帮我拿一下这些钥匙,可以吗?我知道我有车票,我刚才是坐在吸烟的车厢里的。

Conductor: It's OK, lady. Take your time.

没关系,夫人。慢慢找,别着急。

Malcolm Stewart: I'm sure it's in your purse, Mrs. Tobin.

我想一定是在您的钱包里,托宾太太。

Elsa Tobin: Oh, here it is. [ She finds the ticket in her handbag and gives it to the conductor. ]

噢,在这儿。

Malcolm Stewart: And here are your keys.

这是你的钥匙。

Malcolm Stewart: Thank you.

谢谢你。

[ The conductor moves on. ]

Malcolm Stewart: Do you have family in New York?

你有子女在纽约吗?

Elsa Tobin: No, no. But I do have very close friends in New York City.

没有,没有,但我确实有很亲密的朋友在纽约市。

Elsa Tobin: We like to go to the theater together. You said you have family in New York.

我们喜欢一起去戏院。 你刚才说你有子女在纽约。

Malcolm Stewart: Yes, indeed. A son and his wife and their three children -- my grandchildren.

是的,没错。有一个儿子、儿媳妇以及他们的三个孩子 --我的孙子、孙女们。

Elsa Tobin: You must be excited.

你现在一定很激动吧。

Malcolm Stewart: I can't wait, to see them!

我迫不及待想要马上见到他们!

Elsa Tobin: Are you going to live with them?

你要和他们住在一起吗?

Malcolm Stewart: Yes.

是的。

Elsa Tobin: Permanently?

长期的?

Malcolm Stewart: Well... they want me to, but it's too early to know for sure. I'm pretty independent.

嗯…他们想要我这样。但是现在还太早,很难确定。我这人是相当独立自主的。

Malcolm Stewart: I tried to teach my kids the importance of independence, but I'm not sure I want to be alone.

我力求教我的孩子们明白独立自主的重要性,可我不知道我是否想一个人过生活。

Malcolm Stewart: Some people don't mind being alone. I do.

有些人不在乎独自生活,我不行。

Elsa Tobin: I understand. But tell me. Why did you stop working?

我能理解。可是请告诉我,你为什么要退休?

Malcolm Stewart: I retired because... I wanted to be with my family.  I didn't want to be alone anymore!

我退休是因为…我想和我的家人在一起。我不想再一个人孤零零的一个人生活了!

单词列表

19
aisle/ aɪl /n. (车箱)过道
Amtrak/ ˈæmtræk /n. 美国火车公司
bother */ ˈbɒðə(r) /v. 打扰、烦扰
ship */ ʃɪp /v. 运送
destination/ ˌdestɪˈneɪʃn /n. 目的地
celebrate/ ˈselɪbreɪt /v. 庆祝
congratulations/ kənˌɡrætʃəˈleɪʃ(ə)nz /n. 祝贺、恭喜
corporation/ ˌkɔːpəˈreɪʃ(ə)n /n. 公司
section */ ˈsekʃ(ə)n /n. 区域
purse/ pɜːs /n. 钱包
indeed */ ɪnˈdiːd /adv. 确实
grandchildren/ ˈgrænˈtʃɪldrən /n. 孙子和孙女
permanently/ ˈpɜːmənəntli /adv. 长期地
independent */ ˌɪndɪˈpendənt /adj. 独立的
independence/ ˌɪndɪˈpendəns /n. 独立、自主性
anniversary/ ˌænɪˈvɜːsəri /n. 周年记念日
kids/ kidz /n. 孩子们
children/ ˈtʃɪldrən /n. 孩子们
mind */ maɪnd /v. 在乎、介意